Professionalism in Palm Beach County
In September 2007, the Board of Directors of the Palm Beach County Bar Association approved the revised Standards of Professional Courtesy. These revised standards were endorsed in October 2007 by the judges of the 15th Judicial Circuit, who expect professional conduct by all attorneys who appear and practice before them. These standards were published originally in 1990, at the same time the Board of Governors of The Florida Bar adopted the Ideals and Goals of Professionalism.
On September 12, 2011, the Florida Supreme Court amended the oath of admission to The Florida Bar to include a pledge of “fairness, integrity, and civility” to the court and opponents “in all written and oral communications” (the “Oath of Civility”). Thereafter, the voluntary bar associations in South Florida, including the Palm Beach County Bar Association, adopted a Joint Resolution of South Florida Voluntary Bar Associations Regarding Lawyer Civility (the “Joint Resolution”). Click here to view an article written about this project by the American Bar Association which appeared in its online version of BarLeader
The Professionalism Committee of the Palm Beach County Bar Association, which is made up of lawyers and judges, seeks to actively promote the Oath of Civility; addresses ways to instill a sense of professionalism in Bar members; responds to negative publicity concerning the legal profession; reviews complaints referred to the Professionalism Panel and conducts CLE programs on ethics and professionalism throughout the year..
The Professionalism Committee encourages attorneys of all levels and practice areas to frequently review the Oath of Civility and the standards of professionalism. Below is a list of helpful links and resources for attorneys in Palm Beach County practicing in both state and federal court.
For more information about the Professionalism Committee, contact chair Joanne O’Connor at (561) 659-3000 or via email email@example.com
Federal District Courts Florida
- Southern District of Florida Local Rules
- Middle District of Florida Local Rules
- Northern District of Florida Local Rules
Florida State Courts & The Florida Bar
- Ideals and Goals of Professionalism
- Rules Regulating The Florida Bar (including Chapter 4. Rules of Professional Conduct)
- Lawyer Regulation
- Ethics Opinions and Articles on Ethics Issues
- The Florida Bar Ethics Hotline: (800) 235-8619
- Rule 20 – Florida Registered Paralegal Program
Fifteenth Judicial Circuit & The Palm Beach County Bar Association
- Palm Beach County Bar Association Standards of Professional Courtesy and Civility
- Fifteenth Judicial Circuit Court: Administrative Orders and Local Rules
- Administrative Order No. 2.105-6/13: In Re: Fifteenth Circuit Professionalism Panel
- Professionalism Panel Referral Form