The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision. Before you decide to hire the lawyer to whom you are referred, ask that lawyer for written information about that lawyer’s qualifications and experience.
– Before buying or selling real estate
– Before signing a contract with major financial provisions
– Before making a will or planning your estate
– Before organizing a business
– If you are arrested or charged with a crime
– If you are involved in an accident in which there is damage to persons or property
– If there are changes in your family status: divorce, adoption or marriage
– If a lawsuit is brought against you or you want to bring a lawsuit against someone
In some cases, after a consultation, a lawyer may determine to take your case on a contingent fee basis. This means that if your case is successful, the lawyer receives a percentage of the judgment or settlement and out-of-pocket expenses. If the case is not successful, you pay the expenses only.
If you need further services from your LRIS attorney after the initial consultation, the subject of fees should be discussed openly and frankly with your lawyer to avoid any misunderstandings in the future.